A post-change discussion of the lapis economy

Discussion in 'Server Discussions' started by argyl, Sep 22, 2017.

1. argyl

argyl New Member Citizen

Although a vote has already occurred, I think there might still be more we can discuss on the topic of the economy, I think we might have missed a few options and they might be worth exploring.

A lot of people seem fixed on the idea that we need to tie the in game money to a specific item officially, I personally don't think that is necessary. When the economy rises or falls, the prices of items, such as lapis, will rise and fall as well. With that in mind, fixing the price officially doesn't allow those rises and falls to properly resolve themselves.

I think we don't need an item to be the official currency. I feel that there needs to be money that is seeped into the economy by the server (vote crates, jobs, awards from contests, etc) and also at the same time taken out by the server (selling of op items, resorces sold at spawn by server, server gamgling, etc). And with those mechanics in place, the rest will sort itself out.

If anyone has any opinions of another way to run our economy, post here. If you want, you can still discuss why lapis is a good idea and convince me other wise. This is open for discussion for all to participate. I will be sure to try to let as many people know as possible. Let's see what ideas are out there!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. t00thpick1

t00thpick1 Admin Staff Member Admin Citizen

t00thpick1
    As a note: Please keep discussion civil. It is perfectly fine to discuss a server element even after it has been previously decided, as if enough people agree, it can always be changed again. Note that it will not necessarily change unless we(the admins) decide it is in the best interests of the community as a whole. But discussion is always worthwhile to make sure everybody has a chance for their opinion to be heard, and that the community consensus is known

argyl and Zerinna like this.
  3. TheElvenSamurai

TheElvenSamurai New Member Citizen

TheElvenSamurai
    My concern is the amount of work that would be required to create that kind of system. Since I know nothing about that kind of coding I don't want to doom someone into having to create and maintain that kind of an economy system. The only reason I voted for the Lapis System is because, to me, it seemed the easiest from a coding perspective. Personally I'd rather just bartering take place. It makes the value of items up to the parties doing the trading as well as putting the responsibility of fairness on those doing the trading. Also we already have a trade function built into the server, so there wouldn't be any additional work needed to implement that function. That's just my two cents though.

Oniisa likes this.
  4. Oniisa

Oniisa New Member Citizen

Oniisa
    I don't care what we do to be honest, I usually play on vanilla servers that don't have trade systems or economies, except for a few like Performium and Dirkocraft. However unless the end result is nerfing something or removing something from the game, that's when i vote against it. We shouldn't have to remove something from the vanilla MineCraft just to make the currency worth something.

I am used to in-game currency such as dirks, so the physical currency like gold/lapis is a new way of trading for me, but I think one of the reasons why we are using a physical currency is so that the villager traders (which are currently being used in the mall) will work, i don't believe they are compatible with dirks, only physical currency.
    With that being said, having Sign Shops would be nice alternative and they would work with the dirks we already have access to. OP items would be nice (especially like an unbreaking 4 or 5 ! ) Having a server store seems like it would take away from other player's store, unless items are set for stupid high prices(to encourage player to player trading), maybe have a server store where it BUYS things from players at low prices to help put money into the server a little bit?
    I don't think Dirkocraft is the type of server that would have "jobs"... unless its players hiring players to do things like: "go get me some bunnies, and i'll pay you this" or "help me dig this hole and i'll repair your axe and pay you this ".
    I don't have an opinion on gambling.
    Contests are Meh, seems like it could cause issues that would make it more of a pain for various reasons that I don't care to go into in detail (reasons as to players claiming favoritism, or being upset because they cant be active enough to participate in the contest etc).
    As for vote credits/crates I've been on servers that have had it and most of the rewards were kinda lame and weren't really worth the time to vote, but to be honest its really up to the admins about it. It would be interesting to try, but I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other.

Please note this is my opinion and even though i shouldn't have to say it, i will:
    In no means and I saying any one opinion or idea is right or wrong, and this post is not to be meant to be taken in any way other than a statement of my personal opinions and thoughts. With that being said, I am not posting here to start an argument or to attack any one person or idea. And if whomever is reading this post thinks otherwise, even after reading this last bit, then i am truly sorry that you are the type of person that would think that way.

5. argyl

argyl New Member Citizen

sign shops would most likely have to take place when going into currency. Also, with the idea of server shops, they are supposed to have above average prices to encourage trading between players. The shops would be for loners, noobs or if some shops just didn't have what you needed. Basically overpriced crap at spawn shops that wealthy players and noobs wouldn't mind using. Oh and im also against taking away from Vanilla minecraft.

6. Surukishi

Surukishi Patron Patron Citizen

Surukishi
    I WANT DIRT AS CURRENCY!!!!
    DIRT.jpg

Oniisa likes this.
  7. system0101

system0101 New Member Citizen

system0101
    I think it's fine as-is. There have been economies in previous iterations of the server that have faced runaway inflation based on pay for jobs and floating currencies. I think that discussion was already hashed out already, and I don't have much, if anything, substantive to add. I'll say that I remember being among the top money people on both maps I spent a lot of time on, and IMO I like this current setup

8. Zemerion

Zemerion New Member Citizen

The only change i'd like to see within the economy is set pricing to know what you have is worth. and with the tempEnd, looks like that's a good place to start.

9. whotton

whotton Admin Staff Member Admin Citizen

Whotton
    can you guess what's inside it?

10. argyl

argyl New Member Citizen

Zemerion had an interesting idea. Basically all the ores should have a set value. Iron be one price, gold be another, diamond be another and the emeralds. Not something I had in mind but It's not a bad idea.

11. whotton

whotton Admin Staff Member Admin Citizen

Whotton
    As a follow up to this, We are running a joint physical and non-physical economy, lapis blocks are worth $1 and this price can inflate and deflate as required. SignShops have been reintroduced allowing players choice over which trading functionality they prefer to use.

We now have custom item setups which take money out of the server and I will continue to add such things, equally we also have multiple ways of making money on the server be that through mining lapis, trading, selling ores to the server, competing in mini games and soon to be added, fighting mobs in the temp world.

Economy is possibly the hardest part of running a server like ours and will continue to be monitored and adjusted where possible.Once we have enough money within the economy to warrant it, I would like to add a minimum worth to all items but in its current for we only have around $15,000 in the overall economy, most of which is sat with one player.